Sunday, February 17, 2008

Race!

I raced yesterday: 10K on the erg. It went well. Almost perfectly, as a matter of fact. In the process, I was reminded of just how challenging, gut wrenching, and mentally, physically, and spiritually demanding a 10 kilometer race can be. It may be the perfect race distance.

My 5K race time predicts a 37:00 10K. Since my training had been skewed more towards the endurance end of things, and since I'd gained fitness since my 5K race (3 weeks ago) I decided to target 36:40, or a 1:50 per 500m split. I checked in with John, my training partner and, on this day, sole competititor. He acknowledged that he had exactly the same target time. In the back of my mind I etched 36:30 as the time which would define a great race.

In my experience, the key to a 10K race is kilometers 6, 7, and 8. At that point in the race, questions cloud the mind: Is the body still willing? Has the spirit been broken? Why am I doing this?

Predictably, I came through 5K in pretty good shape: 18:14.1. A quick glance at John's monitor assured me that I was slightly ahead of him (we were both rowing on the setting that shows, in addition to current 500m pace, average 500m split, I was at 1:49.4, John was at 1:50.0).

Into kilometers 6, 7, and 8 we went. My pace drifted, slowing to an aggregate 1:49.7 By 8k. A glance at John's monitor indicated that, incredibly, he was gaining speed! He was now at 1:49.8.

With 2K to go I fought to ignore the nagging questions challenging body, mind, and spirit. I picked up pace again and held off the steady rise in average pace. John continued to gain, however. It was a dead heat with a kilometer to go.

Heart rate rising, I pulled a 1:48 500m to bring my pace down to 1:49.6 with 500m to go. Confident, I glanced at John's monitor. 1:49.5!! Shit!

I pulled harder, ignoring the urge to back off and recover a bit in advance of the final surge. In our 5K race, John had beaten me by 1.1 seconds. I'd kicked with 150m to go. Afterwards, I thought that if I'd kicked a little earlier, I would've beat him.

With 200m to go, I found another gear. Could I hold it? I shut my eyes and pulled--form be damned, I added every upper body muscle and fiber to my quad and glute drive. I opened my eyes and focused on the monitor through the lactic acid fog. 83m to go, 1:35 pace. 8 strokes. Now 5. Now done.

Shit! John stopped a split second before I did. My time: 36:25.4. John: 36:24.8.

Afterwards, over a carne asada burrito and a Sebago IPA (well, 2 of them, but that's a story for a different blog) I congratulated John (Geary's Winter Ale and chicken burrito)and reflected on how good I felt about the race and how great the beer and burrito tasted. Then I picked up the tab, and thought how much better it all would've tasted if it'd been his tab.

Oh well, there's always the next race.

Check my world ranking here

1 comment:

Stephen Lacey said...

Gripping report Pete. Bad luck on getting smashed by John. Man, he really whooped your butt, huh. The competitiveness certainly had a good effect on your result. I hope you didn't start yelling like at the end of Ohtawara marathon a few yeas back. In fact, come to think of it, if you startled him enough it might have been good for that 0.5 seconds you needed. Maybe one to keep up the sleeve for next time. Shh...I hope he doesn't read your blog.