Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Thoughts About the Monster

Rowed 33K on Saturday in 2:11:50.2. It became a low back and butt pain torture test. I remain firm in my comittment to row a marathon but equally firm in my comittment to then never row one again.

I took 3-4 standing 20 second or so back stretch breaks (the clock ticked on during these breaks, of course) during the piece. I'll need to build these in to my marathon as well. Other than pain management, the workout was not particularly stressful. My HR was never above 130. I rowed 3:55 kilometers throughout. My total time reflects 4:00 per K, that's because of the stretch break time and shorter breaks to drink gatorade and towel off (sweat management).

I was tired and moderately sore after the workout and into Sunday. The soreness is interesting and reflects the muscles used during rowing: the whole back, the front of the legs, glutes, forearms and biceps. It's general, not acute, an almost pleasant sense of the muscles letting the mind know they've been working.

On Sunday, I gave in to the latest snow and ran on the treadmill, a workmanlike 5 miles.

Yesterday, it was back on the rower for 15K, with no apparent residuals from Saturday's monster.

No comments: