Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Race Day

225.4

RHR = 37

A great little race in a small summer beach community. The course is fast and flat, the conditions almost perfect (72 degrees F with a gentle sea breeze, there's also a lot of shade on the course). It's a bit crowded and slow at the start but I ran unencumbered by anything other than my own legs, heart, and lungs for almost the entire race.

The verdict: 21:15.

Splits:

6:56 (I lost 8 seconds getting to the start line) at Ave HR 148

6:48; 153

7:32 (1.1 miles) at 151

Essentially, I ran 6:48 miles. The deal is that I'm slow. I need to acknowledge my 42:00 BtB won't happen and set a new target.

With warm-up: 8.5K on the day.

2 comments:

Stephen Lacey said...

30 sec off what you were aiming for. Not the end of the world. When is this BtB thing? Apart from your long run, make two runs per week good quality aerobic runs at 75% to 80% of HRmax of an hour to 1:15 duration and you will get a good boost. Needs about six weeks to really kick in (that's how long it takes the mitochondria to develop, apparently).

Pete said...

The race is a month away, August 4. I'll get faster (I hope) but not fast enough to hit my goal time. I'd need to be in 20 minute 5K shape and I'm a long way from there.

On the other hand, I have made a lot of progress from the start of the year and am thinking positively enough about my running that I am entertaining thoughts of a November Marathon.