Saturday, July 21, 2007

Race Day


223.8

The verdict: 35:34. Slightly disappointing, which is a bit of a trend. I always think I can run faster than I can.

This result translates to a 45 minute 10K. I'm getting my head around the fact that I should be pleased with anything under 45 at BtB.

My splits:

6:56 I'd targeted 7:00 and felt pretty good at this point. I'd used 5 seconds to get to the start line.

6:57 This mile was up-and-down (the first mile was predominantly up).

7:19 This mile was almost exclusively up hill. The result was okay but I was hurting and looking for the downhill.

7:05 The downhill was almost too steep to be useful. I was moving well (for me) before the turn into the park. This stretch was a fairly narrow paved path that was up=and-down throughout. I never found a good rythmn during this stretch.

7:17 Continued to scuffle in the park and really struggled after leaving the park. I was able to pick it up on the final downhill stretch but this was a disappointing last mile.

All in all, a decent race on a perfect day for running (cloud cover, reasonably cool). I'd give the course a C minus but the race a solid B overall. Well organized with a nice crowd. 800 runners. Convenient, inexpensive. A good day. My own race tactics were a bit off and may have cost me 30 seconds or so. The 4th mile should've been my fastest and I shouldn't have fallen apart on mile 5. Oh well. I think I'll try it again next year.
Gary Eng joined me for the race and for the post race photo (above). He also took home first place among the New Zealand runners.

4 comments:

Jeff said...

Seems like you should be pretty happy about this?
203 804 PETE LYONS 52 22/89 M5059 PORTLAND ME 35:34 7:07
I bet there aren't too many people from New Zealand in the race:
277 803 GARY ENG 48 55/129 M4049 NEW ZEALAND 37:19 7:28

Stephen Lacey said...

That's a great result. 22nd out of 89. Must have been the shedding of those 2 extra pounds that you've been carrying around lately.

Pete said...

Thanks, fellas. All in all I'm pleased. It's my best race specific workout in advance of BtB.

Stephen Lacey said...

Good to see the Engster looking in fine form. Tell him I don't want to talk about rugby. Or soccer. We Australians are no longer interested in such menial sports. Hopefully though in a day or two we will be very excited about cycling.