Sunday, August 5, 2007

The Race


227.0



You won't find me in the lead pack. I was about 20 minutes behind these guys.

I ran 45:54, continuing my trend of running slower than I thought I could run. I like the race and the day though, and will make it an annual event.

It was humid, a condition I really struggle with, and the hills also hurt me. I should train on the course next year.

I wanted to avergae 7:15 miles. I ran:

7:00 (nice downhill start)

7:21 ( predominantly a steady, gradual, uphill mile)

7:14 (back on target. I passed 5K in 22:26 or so.)

7:29 (and hurting. Uh-oh)

7:24 (some nice downhill stretches although this mile finishes up in what is foreshadowing for a nasty series of hills during mile 6)

8:02 (nasty. ugly.)

1:26 (After the dreadful hill entering the stretch in the park is great)

Now on to other things. Most immediately: The Maine M/2 on the first weekend in October. Serious training for this starts on Wednesday morning (8/8).

3 comments:

Jeff said...

I was thinking, since we spoke, that you might be in a position to post a PB in the 1/2 marathon, if it is a distance you've never really focussed on before.
- You're already in shape to run the distance
- You've been doing a lot of speedwork
- You have two months to revamp your training
Am I way off-base, or am I belatedly grasping something you already had in mind?

Stephen Lacey said...

Well, it's just that the "Transitions " part is still in progress. But the "Motivations" seems in pretty good shape, so you'll get there. Six weeks of 10 to 14k a day would have your aerobic endurance in pretty good shape for the half.

Pete said...

Thanks, fellas, for weighing in. Yes, the transition is a work in progress and one thing I've learned about aging is that it's easy to get unfit and really hard to get fit again.

I feel that I can run a pretty decent M/2 in October. I'm not sure what my PB is but I don't think I'm anywhere near the fitness level I was in previous races. I ran a very good 20K in Oct. of 2004 although my time was marred by a 53 second emergency pit stop.

I'm now thinking in terms of finding a way to run through the winter rather than switch sports. I think 3 treadmill runs during the week and a bundled up weekend run would do it. there's a 10 mile race in February I'd like to run.