Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Long Row

Still not very long, despite the complaints from my low back, mid back, and butt during the row: 17.5K in 1:12:09.3. With this row I salvaged my workout week somewhat, despite my two illness induced unplanned rest days. I'll get over the 50K mark for the week.

Tommorow is a race. A 5K run on a hilly course. It'll be cold (around the freezing mark) but I hope not as windy as it was today. I'll be happy if I can bring it home in under 24 minutes.

The REAL race is on Dec. 1. It's also 5K, and the course is flatter (although not completely flat). 23 minutes is the target there. It's a fun little event--3 work colleagues have challenged me and 2 other colleagues to the race and given us 15 minutes. We have some hurdles--I'm fat and slow, our #2 runner, George, has never raced before and generally takes a walking break during his 3 X week, 30 minute, 3 mile run, and our #3 runner Scott hadn't run since high school (I guess that'd be 30 years ago) and spent 2 weeks limping after his one training running attempt. The top runner for our competitors will probably win the race outright, in 17 minutes or so, We have our work cut out for us!

After that event, it's full time focus on the rowing marathon challenge. I'll run twice a week through the winter: a 1 hour run and a 75-90 minute run, all aerobic. I believe that with that specific training and the rowing fitness I'll be able to jump right into running training in the spring. We'll see.

No comments: