Friday, January 19, 2007

Goals

235.2

I have just one fitness goal for 2007: a 42 minute 10K at Beach-to-Beacon, which is our world class local race. It's the first Saturday in August.

To achieve that goal, I will have to work very hard at my running, lose weight (at least 20 pounds from the 240 I started the year with), and remain injury free--or at least avoid being de-railed by an injury for an extended period of time.

This is a goal that meets the "challenging but attainable" test. I haven't run under 40 minutes in 5 years (Ohtawara 2002, 39:37). I ran 40:30ish in 2004. I can only jog 10K currently.

To be in 42 minute shape, I'll need to be able to run 5K in 20 minutes (give or take). I'll try that in May, and again in June. If I can run 42 minutes for a 10K in August, I should be able to hang on and run a decent M/2 in the first week in October--that'll be my longest race of the year.

I'll explain why 10K (and not a marathon, or a triathlon, or a rocking chair) another time.

It's a gym workout today, with emphasis on the rowing machine, stretching, and core work.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Another 10K Day:

AM: 5K erg with stretching and core work

PM: 5K treadmill in 27:31

No comments: