Thursday, January 18, 2007

Cold!

236.0

It's 6 (-14 C) out there. I don't have a specific temperature below which I won't run outside but I have determined that it's too cold to run outside. It's a treadmill run for me today.

The 1.5 hour spinning session went pretty well last night. A disappointment is that my cheap heart rate monitor seems to be completely broken. The readings jumped all over the place despite fairly constant work load (tension on the wheel and rpms). So either the monitor or my heart was disfunctioning. Since many of the readings were in the low 30s and a quick non-scientific check of the blood flow through my neck revealed pulsations quite a bit faster than 30 bpm I determined that it was the timex, and not my heart, that was disfunctional. I suppose that the monitor is more easily replaced than the heart, so this is actually good news.

I'm going to pack my bag for 2 workouts today. The goal: 30 minutes on the treadmill in the morning and 30 minutes on the treadmill in the evening. This followed by moderate consumption of food and drink.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I had a 10K day! Split almost evenly between my morning and evening workouts: 10K in 56:55. After a gentle but fairly long warm-up (for each of the two pieces) my HR (my strap works and the treadmill picks up my HR and displays it, the watch part of my HR monitor remains worthless) was in the high end aerobic zone despite my pedestrian pace. I am unfit. I will fix this.

2 comments:

Stephen Lacey said...

Pete, I think that I would also regard -14C as too cold to train outside. I'm also not sure at exactly what point between -14 and +4 I would reverse that opinion, and to be honest, I don't really want to find out. I just know that I have almost certainly ventured out in temps of about +4 of late and found it a little brisk.
So, are you off to a Sebago outlet this evening?

Pete said...

Thanks, Steve. It's cold (30 F) and snowy (lightly) this morning. The roads and trails are covered--the treadmill is my friend.