Friday, December 28, 2007

Reflections

2007 didn't go quite as planned. I got reasonably fit in the middle of the year and then suffered from a malaise (both physical and spiritual in origin) that knocked me a bit off kilter. I'm feeling pretty good now though. I'm not quite ready to put my 2008 goals in writing but here are a few things I'm considering:

1. 3600 Kilometers (running and rowing) for the year. That's 300K per month. I feel that if I hit this goal, fitness will follow. I'm not completely sold on the fact that weight loss will follow, however.

2. Row an April marathon in 2:49:37. This was Mike McKenna's Boston Marathon qulaifying time at the Casco Bay Marathon in 1982. He needed to run 2:50 to get in, and he did. I ran 3:10:06 that year, with his help and advice. A 2:49:37 row would be a very tough but attainable goal.

3. Train for and run a road race a month, 5 to 10K in distance (inclusive) between May and November (inclusive).

4. Start a Portland-based running group modeled after Namban Rengo.

5. Learn to drink bad beer. This is a financially driven goal. There is a lot of cheap bad beer around. If I switched to drink primarily bad beer I would save money and, I believe, drink less, because of the reduced enjoyment. I would therefore lose weight because I've recently learned that beer actually contains calories. So there are incentives for this goal but it is drastic. I need to think about it more.

No comments: