Monday, December 10, 2007

Starting the new week off....

......with a nice 10K row. Total time was 39:11.9. I forgot to turn my watch on at the beginning, but captured 1K splits after the first 2K. They were:

3:58 112
3:54 116
3:55 117
3:54 117
3:55 119
3:55 121
3:55 123
3:54 121

I'm adding duration, both with individual workouts and with weekly distance, and am therefore not adding intensity. But I'm getting tempted to add intensity. Maybe a couple of interval sessions and then a New Year's eve 5K time trial would cure me of the intensity temptation.

2 comments:

Stephen Lacey said...

Pete, great job on the solid training week last week. Rowing certainly seems to get you through the km a bit faster than running. I wonder if it is the same on the water...would running along a riverside path beside a single sculler be keeping me at tempo pace as your data seem to suggest?

Pete said...

Well, if I'm the guy in the boat it wouldn't work because I'd flip the boat over, or something like that. A rowing machine, however, with no concerns of boat wake, wide, tide, catching a "crab", etc. is very consistent.

But a rowing machine kilometer, for me, takes about 75-80% of the time of a running kilometer, at comparable effort.

My 5K rowing (machine) PB is 17:06, 18:50 is the best I've ever done running (although I ran a hilly 3 mile race in 17:59 in 1982).

Continuing in my way more information than necessary ramble, if I can hold the 1:54 pace (current aerobic 10K) for a marathon in April, I should be the fastest 50+ erging marathoner in the world. But that's aq big if at this point.