Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Why does all ramen in the U.S......


.....suck? The picture at right is my son, Sam, about to eat a bowl of NYC ramen. It's (and all ramen I've ever had in the US) at best mediocre. Why? Is there an FDA regulation against flavor?


232.2

RHR = 42
Today is a big workout day, my bonus workout (1.5 hour spin) looms this evening. I hopped on the treadmill this morning and ran a quick 5K. I once again struggled with some erratic HR readings but may have hit on the reason why I get those when I run but not during rowing or spinning. At one point during the run I dropped my left arm down to my side (i.e., away from my heart) . It was a time when the monitor had spiked. The reading dropped. I repeated this several times with the same result. My theory--if I have a benign irregular heart beat (as indicated by my doctor when I had my 50 year old EKG) the wrist monitor picks up the "hitch" when the wrist monitor is close to the strap. I'll check this theory when I have my upcoming doctor's appointment to discuss this situation, and I'll continue to stay aerobic between now and then.
For the record, this morning's results:
Ran 6K in 32:26, with Ave. HR = 120
1st K = 5:57; HR = 140 (spiking HR to 170)
2nd = 5:51; HR = 102
3rd = 5:18; HR = 108
4th = 4:59; HR = 119
5th = 4:57; HR = 131 (spiking again)
6th = 5:15; HR = 121
PM: 90 minute spin. Felt tired throughout. A tough workout.

3 comments:

Stephen Lacey said...

So that's the wrasslin' dude. I heard he had a good win the other week. Colin told me.

Well, I think you deserve bad ramen. It is the karmanic tradeoff for all that good beer you have got while ours is mostly mediocre. Just like you telling me about Dogfish Head (or was it Flying Dog or Hair of the Dog?) IPA, I have to tell you I found a ramen shop in Meguro the other day that has the most kick ass tantan men I have ever eaten, well, apart from that kickass place opposite Fuji Mama's in Harajuku.

Pete said...

Yes. Colin was kind enough to watch some of the wrestling, and Sam had a nice day and a good season (22-2).

We are blessed with nice beer here but I really, really miss ramen. And your description of the Meguro place and my memory of the kickass place have combined to make my mouth water.

Jeff said...

Have you been to the Disneyworld of Food yet? I noticed that one of their prepared food areas is a noodle/sushi spot. I wonder if they have decent ramen.