Sunday, March 4, 2007

A Weigh-In Shock.....

......and not in a good way:

235.6

RHR = 44

The fitness bit of my return to wellness plan is pretty easy to figure out: work hard, with consistency, and add to the workload steadily. Every time I think I've got the weight management thing figured out, though, I am reminded (by my scale) that I don't know what I'm doing.

Yesterday's spin was a monster workout and I thought I ate somewhat moderately: 2 bagels and fruit juice for breakfast; a pulled chicken sandwich for lunch; lemon chicken soup and a cheeseburger with cole slaw for dinner. In addition, I walked almost 10K. The lemon chicken soup is a specialty of the Pizza Villa, and that's about a 4.5KM walk. I did have 2 IPAs with my soup (ah, here in lies the problem, I sense). From there I walked back towards my place to Rivalries, where I watched a disappointing effort by Portland HS in their state championship match against Bangor, and ate an equally disappointing cheeseburger. I also drank 2 HSAs and a glass of red. Okay, more confessions, I washed down my lunch (delicious) with an Allagash White, a Chimay Blue, and, sticking with colorful drinking, a Pemiquid Brown (it was my dessert, the beer has a nice hint of chocolate at the finish).

Bingo! I think I now understand the source of the 3.5 pound weight gain. I wonder if I have the internal fortitude to do anything about it?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ran 10K on the treadmill in 53:17, with Ave. HR = 112. Then joined Jeff (http://motivateufatbastard.blogspot.com/) for the Irish Rover Road Race. We pushed it hard up Fore St. hill and had a nice effort. With a moderate race warm-up, I ran 16K on the day. The highlight for me was the race camaraderie, and a race effort that was such that I could enjoy the camaraderie. And, of course, the $2.50 Guinness pints after the race.

No comments: