Sunday, May 13, 2007

Race Day!

223.4

RHR = 44

I ran 21:39. I was disappointed in my time but felt that my effort was strong. The uphill second mile hurt me. I ran a 6:45 first mile (my goal pace) but slowed to 7:15 for mile two. I didn't find the 6:45 again and was also unable to pick up the pace when the finish line was in sight. The race was well organized and fun, I'll do it again.

With warm-up I ran 9K on the day, which gave me 47.7K for the week. Call the week a "B". The Wednesday track session and the race were the highlights.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

It was such a beautiful day, and this is such a great time of year for running, and the race is so cool, especially the finish, and the organization/logistics get better as the race grows, that you almost overlook that it is a very discomforting course: around the time the crowd thins out so you can run it starts uphill, then (as you pointed out) almost the whole second mile is uphill; the first quarter of the third mile is a gentle down, but it turns up and the pavement is broken and uneven; then when you turn into Fitzpatrick Stadium (this year at least) you run in dust kicked up by hundreds ahead of you; coming into Hadlock is one of the really cool things, but then it's too crowded to kick to the finish. A cool race, but not the opportunity to post a great time that it sucks you into thinking it should be.