Thursday, May 24, 2007

VO2 Mini-Max

221.4

RHR = 38

This posting reflects my workout on Wednesday, May 23, not the 24th (I don't know how to blog back in time).

I met Jim T. at the track for a VO2 Max workout. He ran 4 X 1K plus 800m. I ran 6 X 800m. I was concerned about tired legs going in--I'd run LR2 the day before (that, couple with the fact that Jim is faster than I am, was the reason for 800s rather than 1Ks). The workout went well although I had been and still am dealing with some low, low back pain. I've decided to take 3 rest days in advance of the 25K trail torture test on Sunday. The workout:

13.5K in 1:12:39

Run to/from the track plus:

6 X 800m in 3:12 (4:00/K pace) with 2:45 recovery between intervals. A solid workout.

2 comments:

Stephen Lacey said...

Definitely a solid hit out. Indicative of great progress. Did you collect any heart rate data for those 800s? I wanto know if you ever record a heart rate over 140 ;-)

Pete said...

Thanks, Steve. My average HR during the 800s was 144 or so. My eyes suck and the time is important so I generally run with split time showing (as the biggest number). When I toggle to HR after 600m or so I'm at 152 or so--the same HR effort as I ran my recent 5K race. In contrast, during my AT workout last week, I as at 143-144. So HR average during the 800 doesn't quite accurately reflect effort, since for the first minute the HR is still coming out of the recovery from the rest piece. But, I feel like I'm running at the proper effort level.